Friday, August 30, 2013

Day 1


Driving in, on a muggy, hot August morning, I was reminded how my friend controls the weather.  When she's happy, the weather is breezy and warm.  When she's sad, well - let's just say it started raining today.

Several friends and former co-workers (how do I refer to them anymore?  They're my friends, but we worked together - it feels like I'm complicating things unnecessarily...) decided to go back into the office to salvage what files we could from our computers.

IT would be there, to help us out (or rather, IT was there to... monitor what we were grabbing?) So many people who get laid off don't get this chance.   At least we'd be able to show off all the great work we'd done for the last several years - and I'm grateful for that.  Over 7 Gigs of work.  Wow. 

Like a mini reunion (because we hadn't all seen each other since midday yesterday, and that's a really long time), we all gathered together, traded stories and plans and ideas and wishes and hopes and hugs and and and and.  and.

Wandered into our old conference room, also known as the post-it room, where all us artists would doodle while waiting for the morning meeting to be over.  Found our portrait wall.  Made me smile.


Do you ever wonder sometimes (just sometimes), when a major event in your life has occurred, if all the radio stations have banned together to provide a soundtrack for your situation?  Say that special someone just said they love you for the first time, and you're driving home then bam!  I'm Yours by Jason Mraz comes on.  Followed swiftly by I Wanna Hold Your Hand.  And the hits just keep on coming?

This happened as we drove away from the building.  Goodbye To You by the Veronicas.  Living On A Prayer by Bon Jovi.  Song after song.  But it wasn't until I flipped the station again, and came across Gone, Gone, Gone by Phillip Phillips that my outlook changed.

 I went from:

to :

 



When you fall like a statue
I'm gon' be there to catch you
Put you on your feet, you on your feet.
And if your well is empty
Not a thing will prevent me.
Tell me what you need, what do you need?

I surrender honestly.
You've always done the same for me.

So I would do it for you, for you.

(also, am I the only one who thinks he says "you're my -crotch- when my legs stop moving"?  Yeah.  You smiled too.)   

2 comments:

  1. Ashley, I want to say I'm so glad you are doing this blog. I am sad about the circumstances that led to you making this blog but the resulting expression is really something. It gives all of us a way to share in this event and the aftermath. The gifs are a perfect way to go beyond the words to convey emotions and lighten such a dreadful experience. Keep it up! I want to see what happens next!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow thank you Rich! Unfortunate circumstances can lead to some of the best things, and that's what my outlook is right now. I appreciate the kind words and the interest :)

      Delete